RESTYLED 2016 CHEVROLET EQUINOX DISTINGUISHED
WITH PREMIUM CUES, ENHANCED CONTENT
The 2016 Chevrolet Equinox is restyled with new cues and enhancements that make the versatile vehicle an even better choice, and demonstrate Chevrolet’s commitment to delivering the broadest lineup of SUVs in the industry.
Updates for the 2016 model include new styling with premium accents, new wheel designs and new available safety features, as well as a larger color touchscreen radio and a standard rear-vision camera for entry-level models.
Equinox competes in the compact SUV segment, which surged 17.4 percent in 2014 and accounted for 15.5 percent of the total U.S. vehicle market – eclipsing midsize cars for the first time to become the auto industry’s largest segment.
Equinox sales in the U.S. increased to 242,242 in 2014 – the fifth consecutive year of record sales since the second-generation launched as a 2010 model. Sales were up again 17 percent for the first quarter of 2015.
New and updated features available on the 2016 Equinox includes:
- New trim lineup: L, LS, LT and LTZ, a streamlining of the model lineup that eliminates the 1LT and 2LT trims.
- New front fascia and chrome-accented dual-port grille design – including specific chrome trim on LT and LTZ grilles
- New, premium projector-beam headlamps on all models helps make the Equinox more visible at night
- New daytime running lamps on LT and LTZ, with reflector-style lamps on L and LS, and light-emitting diode (LED) lamps on LT and LTZ that create a distinctive, upscale lighting signature
- New fog lamps on LTZ
- New, Chevy-signature dual-element taillamps, revised license plate applique and revised lower rear fascia on all models, with chrome trim on LTZ lower fascia
- New 17-inch aluminum wheels on L, LS, LT; and new 18-inch aluminum wheels on LTZ
- New chrome exhaust outlets on V-6 models
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features on LT and LTZ
- Standard seven-inch-diagonal Color Touch radio (including Bluetooth phone connectivity) and rear-vision camera on L and LS models
- Revised instrument panel “center stack” with new storage shelf and updated control graphics
- New, chrome-trimmed transmission shifter with Electronic Range Selector mode buttons relocated to the top of the shifter handle
- Enhanced interior fabrics in L and LS designed for a premium look and feel
- New Saddle Up interior color
- New universal tablet holders available through dealers from Chevrolet Accessories. They mount on the rear of the front seats to provide convenient access for rear-seat passengers.
“The new face of the Equinox is highlighted by a more expressive execution of chrome accents and premium lighting,” said John Cafaro, executive director of design, global Chevrolet cars. “The result is a modern exterior that’s matched inside with premium features on all trim levels, complementing the Equinox’s enhanced technology and functionality.”
A compact SUV with big features
The 2016 Equinox seats five, with all-wheel drive offered on LS, LT and LTZ models. Its roomy interior – with the GM-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat – offers 31.4 cubic feet (889 liters) of cargo space behind the rear seat and 63.7 cubic feet (1,803 liters) with the rear seat folded.
The standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine delivers an EPA-estimated 32 mpg on the highway (FWD models). A direct-injected 3.6L V-6 is available with LT and LTZ models and delivers best-in-class 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb-ft of torque (369 Nm). The V-6 engine also enables a trailering capacity of up to 3,500 pounds (1,588 kg) – capability unmatched by four-cylinder-only competitors.
Chevrolet MyLink is standard on LT and LTZ models, while OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot is offered on all trim levels. Equinox was the first in the segment to offer 4G LTE and it provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/3GB data trial (whichever comes first).
In addition to available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert safety features, Equinox also offers Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning as part of comprehensive safety packages.
Flexible space for passengers and cargo
Equinox’s interior is designed for comfort, convenience and versatility. The standard MultiFlex sliding rear seat can offer passengers the most rear legroom in its class. It travels nearly eight inches fore and aft, providing up to 39.9 inches (1,015 mm) of real legroom. With the 60/40 split-back rear seat moved all the way forward, the cargo area offers 31.4 cubic feet (889 liters) of storage.
Family-friendly features include several storage bins, an oversized glove box, a closed storage bin under the center armrest big enough to accommodate a laptop computer, four 12-volt power outlets and eight cup and bottle holders.
Equinox is also a quiet and refined vehicle. Noise-absorbing elements in the chassis, engine compartment, interior and windshield glass make the cabin one of the quietest in the segment. 2.4L models feature Active Noise Cancellation that contributes to exceptional quietness and efficiency.
Additional interior features include:
- Available Chevrolet MyLink radio with navigation
- Air conditioning is standard on all models, with automatic climate control standard LTZ and available on LT
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on LTZ
- Universal home remote is available on LTZ in the Enhanced Convenience Package
- Eight-way power front passenger seat is available on LTZ in the Enhanced Convenience Package
- Heated front seats are standard on LTZ
- Rear-vision camera is standard on all models
- Adaptive remote start that also activates the front and rear defrosters, heated seats and outside heated mirrors when the temperature is 45 degrees F (7 C) or colder. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Ice-blue ambient lighting accentuates key areas of the cabin and provides an upscale look and feel
- Color touch-screen radio with SiriusXM (with trial period), with MP3 capability, USB port and iPod support, is standard on all models
- Available Pioneer Premium System with eight speakers and 250 watts of output.
Interior color and trim choices:
- Premium cloth seating with Light Titanium/Jet Black or Jet Black interior colors (L, LS and LT)
- Perforated leather-appointed seating with new Saddle Up, Light Titanium/Jet Black or Jet Black interior colors (standard on LTZ).
MyLink and OnStar 4G LTE
Chevrolet MyLink is standard on LT and LTZ models, with navigation available on both. Each is integrated with Equinox’s advanced audio system.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience with MyLink includes text message support and Siri Eyes Free. With text message support, the driver can be alerted to new messages and can have them read aloud, view and respond to them (functionality depends on the smartphone). Siri Eyes Free enables uses of iPhone4S and later to access Siri via the steering wheel controls and check calendar entries, have text messages read and respond to them, place calls or call up music.
Android phone users can also use the steering wheel controls to access their phone’s voice recognition features.
Additional MyLink features include:
- Hands-free voice control system powered by Nuance®, which allows simple voice commands to initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media from portable MP3 players and smart phones
- Pandora Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio allow users to create personalized radio stations based on favorite artists or genres. MyLink integrates control of both of these apps for a driver-directed listening experience
- Gracenote® identifies the music collection on the driver’s USB device, MP3 player or smart phone and presents information such as artist name, genres and album cover art on the MyLink screen
- USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices, and gives the customer the ability to update MyLink with future enhancements.
Complementing MyLink to enhance Equinox’s connectivity is new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months of OnStar Guidance includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as Turn-by-Turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to simplify service scheduling.
Chassis and suspension
Equinox is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience. Additional features include:
- Strong structure with four-wheel independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback
- Rack-mounted electronic power steering on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.6L V-6-equipped models
- Available all-wheel drive
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control and rollover mitigation technology help keep the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver
- Trailering anti-sway control and hill hold assist feature
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with traction control, hill-start assist and electronic brake force distribution to help maximize braking performance.
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.6L V-6 in the Equinox feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology. The 2.4L delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 32 mpg (FWD models).
The 3.6L is rated at 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb-ft of torque (369 Nm). This engine uses lightweight components that contribute to the Equinox’s fuel efficiency while boosting its horsepower. An integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design saves about 13 pounds compared to a non-integrated design, while a composite intake manifold saves about 5.5 pounds vs. an aluminum intake. Additionally, a lightweight structural front cover and high-strength connecting rods save additional weight.
An efficient six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models and an “Eco” transmission mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Equinox is built on a solid structure that includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash. And it is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one, including:
- Six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation.
- Rear-vision camera that helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle is standard on all models
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Daytime running lamps make the Equinox more visible to other drivers and to pedestrians
- Driver Confidence Package is available on LT and LTZ and includes Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Rear Park Assist
- Driver Confidence Package II is available on LTZ and includes Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 115 countries and selling around 4.8 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.