2013 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE GIVES FAMILIES A NEW GATHERING SPACE
The new 2013 Chevrolet Traverse crossover-utility vehicle offers unexpected space for both people and cargo, with enhanced style, refinement, connectivity and safety.
“Traverse is an ideal partner for busy families,” said Chris Perry, vice president, global Chevrolet marketing. “Having enough space for the kids, their friends and their cargo can help everyone enjoy the journey.
“Confined spaces don’t bring out the best in people. With its refined new interior and seating for eight, Traverse can help each passenger find his or her space,” said Perry. “And Traverse’s responsive performance and advanced safety features – including the industry’s first front center side airbag – can add a sense of confidence to any drive.”
The 2013 Traverse has an athletic new exterior design, including a more expressive front end with a clear Chevrolet character.
The front features a power dome hood, a horizontal grille, new lamps, chrome accents, and sculpted front corners. The new design reflects Chevy’s car lineup, for a more consistent family resemblance.
At the rear, redesigned lamps and the license plate pocket are positioned in the new lift gate for a sportier look.
For 2013, Traverse manufacturer’s suggested retail prices start at $30,340, plus $825 dealer freight charge. The modest $850 increase over 2012 represents a great value, given the significant exterior, interior and refinement updates for the 2013 model.
Space for families and their cargo
Space is the hallmark of the Traverse interior, with its class-leading spaciousness, comfortable and flexible seating for up to eight adults, and more cargo-carrying capacity than any other vehicle in its segment. The new Traverse builds on these established attributes with new features and refined appointments.
Upgraded materials include soft-touch surfaces on the instrument panel and front door uppers, contrasting stitching, chrome and silver accents, and available blue ambient lighting that flows through the cabin.
A new center stack showcases a 6.5-inch color touch radio with the available Chevrolet MyLink or MyLink with Navigation infotainment systems.
MyLink includes large, easy-to-use controls and intuitive menus that help each customer quickly and easily chose the level of connectivity that works for them. MyLink enables customers to seamlessly integrate their smartphones for hands-free calling through the audio system and Bluetooth streaming of popular internet radio favorites Pandora and Stitcher.
The center stack also has large and illuminated climate controls that are easier to use and have a more upscale feel.
The front seats now feature articulating head restraints that can be adjusted up or down and fore and aft for greater comfort. The passenger seat includes eight-way power with leather trim. New wood trim treatments are standard on LT and LTZ.
Adding to the overall feel of quality, the fit and finish of the interior panels have been improved on all models. The new Traverse is offered with three interior color choices, in cloth or leather, including Ebony and Mojave, Light Titanium and Dark Titanium, and Ebony.
Passes the parent test
The Traverse passes the parent test with three rows of seating standard on all models, flexible seating configurations, class-leading people and cargo-carrying capacity, and family-friendly entertainment and other features.
Traverse’s second-row seat comes with a pair of captain’s chairs or a three-passenger bench. Each incorporates Traverse’s child-friendly, second-row SmartSlide feature that enables unobstructed access to the third-row bench seat with one hand – and is easy for children to operate.
The third-row seat can comfortably accommodate three adult passengers. Traverse’s 24.4 cu. ft. (691 liters) of cargo room behind its third row is larger than that of many sport utility vehicles.
Traverse also has easy-to-operate safety belts, up to 12 cup holders and an available rear-seat entertainment system.
Efficient power and car-like ride
Traverse has a long 118.9-inch (3,021 mm) wheelbase, with a wide 67.3-inch (1,709 mm) front track and 67.1-inch (1,704 mm) rear track – a combination that enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics.
Efficiency in the Traverse comes from a technically advanced 3.6L V-6 with fuel-saving direct injection technology and continuously variable valve timing. It is mated with a six-speed automatic transmission with improved shift feel for more confident acceleration when the driver needs additional power when entering the highway or passing.
The engine is SAE-certified at 288 horsepower (215 Nm) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm) with dual exhaust (281 hp/210 kW and 266 lb.-ft./361 Nm with single exhaust). Its direct injection fuel delivery helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines, using regular unleaded gasoline. EPA fuel economy estimates of 17 mpg city/24 mpg highway for the front-wheel drive Traverse are highly competitive with other three-row crossovers, utilities and minivans.
Ride and handling improvements have been made through the use of rebound springs in the front struts that increase roll control. New shock valving has been employed for low-velocity control to deliver a smoother ride at lower speeds.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention; the system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Traverse offers utility-like towing capacity of up to 5,200 pounds (2,358 kg).
Smart and safe family hauler
The Traverse has recently earned top honors and recognition from leading third-party organizations and in government crash testing.
For 2013, Traverse enhances its safety reputation with the industry’s first front center side air bag. It is engineered to provide additional restraint to drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes, where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle.
When a severe impact occurs, the air bag deploys in milliseconds from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants.
“While no restraint technology or feature can address all body areas or all potential injuries, the front center side air bag is designed to address field-relevant side impact crashes that are not addressed by current regulatory or consumer metric test conditions,” said Gay Kent, GM executive director of Vehicle Safety and Crashworthiness. “It works with the vehicle’s other air bags, safety belts and structure to deliver a safer occupant environment.”
Additional safety and security features:
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert systems (standard on LTZ) use radar to watch spots the driver may not see – and provide visible and audible warnings to help prevent collisions.
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for outboard occupants in all seating rows. In addition to providing protection in moderate-to-severe side crashes, the roof-mounted head curtain air bags will deploy in a rollover to help provide increased occupant protection and containment.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology is standard on all models and incorporates full-function traction control.
- Standard rearview camera system is designed to provide the driver with added capability to view what is in the rearward path of the vehicle.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake systemwith ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Safety belt pretensioners reduce forward movement during a collision , and are standard on the front safety belts, along with load-limiting retractors that help limit the belts’ impact on the occupants’ chest. The dynamic locking latch plate locks to hold the occupants’ pelvis in place.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in outboard second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
- Standard hill start assist brakes help reduce the tendency of a vehicle to roll forward or backward on a hill after the brake pedal is released by momentarily retaining pressure on the brake discs.
OnStar is standard on all Traverse models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of a crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance comes on all Traverse models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
- OnStar Mobile App allows owners with Android™ or Apple™ smart phones to remotely start the engine, lock and unlock doors and view vital vehicle information such as tire pressure, fuel tank level, range, remaining oil life, etc.
For 2013, Traverse is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models (with two LT packages: 1LT and 2LT), in both front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. It is built in Lansing, Mich.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com