CHEVROLET CRUZE ADDS INFOTAINMENT AND SAFETY TECHNOLOGY
The Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet’s best-selling passenger car around the world, provides the amenities, quietness, safety features, infotainment and roominess expected of a larger sedan, but with the efficiency and value of a compact car.
For 2013, Chevrolet adds infotainment and safety technologies that bring even more value to Cruze.
They include the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, standard on 2LT, Eco and LTZ models and available on 1LT. Two audio systems – including an AM/FM audio system with GPS-enabled navigation and a seven-inch-diagonal color touch-screen, are also new for 2013.
Cruze also adds an Enhanced Safety Package – available on LT, Eco and LTZ models – that offers crash-avoidance technologies such as Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
Cruze is available in LS, 1LT, 2LT and LTZ models, as well as a gas-sipping Eco model that, when equipped with a manual transmission, achieves an EPA-estimated 42 mpg highway, making it the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered non-hybrid car in America.
Cruze features Chevrolet’s global signature face – a two-tier grille with the gold bowtie logo. An arching roofline connects a steeply raked windshield and fast-sloping rear pillars that provide a sporty, coupe-like proportion.
Prominent headlamp housings wrap around the corners and sweep upward into the fenders and hood. The short rear deck is typically found on sport coupes. Wheels are planted at the corners with minimal front and rear overhangs, which make the car appear longer.
Inside, the twin-cockpit motif is matched with high-quality interior materials and exceptional assembly tolerances. Grained, soft-touch components and low-gloss trim panels exude a level of quality uncommon in the segment.
The instrument panel features richly detailed instruments backlit with light-emitting diode (LED) technology. The integrated center stack houses the infotainment display, climate controls and radio controls, and blends harmoniously with the instrument panel.
The interior pillar and other moldings are color and grain-matched to the headliner, while the seat inserts are color-matched to the instrument panel accent trim, giving the cabin the detailed appearance of a larger, more upscale sedan.
New exterior colors include Cyber Gray Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Atlantis Blue Metallic.
Cruze standard and available features
All Cruze interiors include premium materials and unexpected standard equipment, including air conditioning, vehicle anti-theft system, USB port, adjustable steering wheel with audio controls, AM/FM stereo system with CD player, MP3 playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary jack for personal playback devices, two power outlets, remote keyless entry and a trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- Cruze LS includes premium cloth bucket seats, 16-inch steel wheels, silver-painted center stack and instrument panel cluster accent rings, power windows with express down on all windows, power door locks, carpeted front and rear floor mats and Bluetooth for select phones
- Cruze 1LT adds cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, power driver express-up window and 16-inch alloy wheels. The available All-Star Edition package includes a power sunroof and premium Pioneer nine-speaker audio system. New for 2013, the 1LT Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors and remote vehicle start on automatic-transmission-equipped vehicles. A new, available Technology Package includes Chevrolet MyLink and a rear vision camera.
- Cruze Eco adds 17-inch lightweight aluminum wheels, color-touch AM/FM stereo, MP3 playback capability and seven-inch-diagonal color touch-screen display. New for 2013, the Chevrolet MyLink system features Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice recognition for phone, music and radio; Pandora and Stitcher smartphone compatibility; Gracenote (playlist and album art); software updatable for radio software and Gracenote database. An available Eco Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors.
- Cruze 2LT adds Meridian leather-appointed front bucket seats, six-way power driver seat and heated driver and front passenger seats. New for 2013, the available Driver Convenience Package includes driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors; auto-dimming inside rearview mirror; rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors.
- Cruze LTZ adds 18-inch wheels, automatic climate control, rear vision camera, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, uplevel instrument panel with chrome trim rings, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-color mirrors, front fog lamps, chrome door handles and keyless entry/keyless start.
A sporty RS Appearance Package is available on LT and LTZ models. It includes unique fascias, rocker moldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps. An uplevel instrument cluster includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, and opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance. On the 1LT model, the Z-link rear suspension.
The Enhanced Safety Package is available on LT, Eco and LTZ models and includes Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
A power, sliding sunroof also is available on LT and LTZ Cruze models.
Chassis and suspension
The Cruze features a strong body structure and chassis system that enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with traction control, rollover mitigation and anti-lock brakes are standard.
Additional features include a MacPherson strut front suspension and, available on 1LT and standard on 2LT and LTZ, a rear suspension with a technically advanced Z-link design. It helps deliver a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension.
Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models. It helps with Cruze’s excellent fuel economy because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories.
Cruze is equipped with a family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels.
Efficient, proven powertrains
Cruze models sold in North America are equipped with one of two efficient four-cylinder engines and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. At 42 mpg highway, the Cruze Eco with the manual transmission is the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered/non-hybrid car in America.
Standard on LS models is the 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel economy across the rpm band. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 25 mpg city and 36 mpg on the highway with the manual transmission and 22 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with the automatic.
Standard on LT, LTZ and Eco models is an Ecotec 1.4L turbo. Its exhaust-driven turbocharger helps the engine perform like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions.
Also rated at 138 horsepower (103kW) with 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), the Ecotec 1.4L turbo enables a cruising range of more than 500 miles (800 km), meaning it can go longer between fill-ups.
EPA fuel economy is 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway on LT and LTZ, and 28 mpg city and 42 mpg highway on Eco when equipped with the manual transmission. With the automatic transmission, Cruze Eco highway fuel economy increases to 39 mpg.
Backing the Cruze’s four-cylinder engines are six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. Each contributes to Cruze’s excellent fuel economy.
Cruze is backed by GM’s five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty – the best coverage in America.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Cruze offers more standard safety features than any vehicle in its class, each contributing to Chevrolet’s goal of protecting passengers before, during and after a crash.
Safety begins with a strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment. Underbody main rails extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body in the event of a side-impact crash.
The new, available Enhanced Safety Package includes crash-avoidance technologies such as a rear park assist, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
Cruze was the first in its segment to provide 10 standard air bags , including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags. Other safety features include:
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
- Tire pressure monitoring system , daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Cruze. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Cruze also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.